Saturday, July 16, 2011

Beginning language school

Erika and I started language school the day after we arrived in Copan, Honduras. When we showed up to the school that Friday morning at 7:50 AM, there were no teachers available for us because they thought we weren’t starting until Monday. After a quick phone call, the teachers showed up about 10 minutes later, allowing just enough time for Erika and me to complete a “Spanish Placement Exam”. Erika explained that she understood about 30% of the material on the test. I informed her that I correctly spelled my name on the paper and that was about it. It was tough to identify the antonym to a Spanish word when you don’t know the initial word itself. When my teacher showed up, she looked at my placement exam and told me that there was “no problema” with my current knowledge of Spanish. I was a bit skeptical when my teacher informed me that she spoke no English, but we were easily communicating by the end of the first 4 hours. The homework Erika and I have been completing over the weekend along with communicating with our host family has already made a difference in our understanding of Spanish. I am very curious and anxious to see where we are with our Spanish skills after 2 weeks.

Ryan

2 comments:

  1. "I informed her that I correctly spelled my name on the paper and that was about it" I LOVE this haha, that's so awesome. LOVE YOU GUYS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got done reading about your recent adventures
    in Honduras. This is a first for me, using a
    computer. I am so proud of you guys and wish you
    all the best. Today is August 7 and there is a
    hint of Fall in the air. I'm using Robin's
    computer. Call when you can and stay safe.
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete

Honduras

Honduras
We attended language school in Copan Ruinas. Tegucigalpa is where we are serving as teachers at AFE.