Monday, December 31, 2012

Final Trimester: From English to Science

During my (Erika's) last trimester of teaching at AFE, I was assigned 7-9th English and 9th Social Studies.  I felt completely out of my league for teaching social studies, but there was a class that needed a teacher, so I took it willingly.  I did my best to come prepared with an interesting discussion and a powerpoint lesson, however, it was never what I wanted it to be...I just wasn't in my element.

In addition to this anguish I felt, I was teaching English which was the students' 2nd trimester of English this year.  They were all feeling restless and nothing I came prepared with was gaining their interest.  I brought projects, creative writing time, games, etc., and the days seemed to get longer.  I had a thought one day, and realized that I was in a huge funk.  And I could do something about it!  So for the final month or so of teaching at AFE, I changed my English class to a science classroom...decided to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. 

I was able to teach them about ecosystems and food chains & webs...I incorporated an Owl Pellet Dissection Lab at the end of the unit which the students extremely enjoyed!  Finally I ended with a microscope discovery lab and every student in high school now knows with expertize how to focus on a specimen or sample through a microscope.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Honduras

Honduras
We attended language school in Copan Ruinas. Tegucigalpa is where we are serving as teachers at AFE.