Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Empanadas

Today for my enjoyment, I went to a store next door to our language school to learn how to make one of my favorite Honduras foods: empanadas.  I have only ever heard of them being called pupusas, but I learned that in Copan they refer to them differently.

I was able to make one, too, but didn't have anyone to take a photo of me, so the only one in the photo is the lady who does this for a living...but I think she is much more impressive than a gringa who just learned the task.  From start to finish, here is the process:

First, you must make the dough that is used to create the empanada from corn (maiz).  The corn is boiled for 40 minutes and then rinsed.

Then you grind the corn with a little bit of water through a motorized grinder to create a paste.
 Once you have the paste, you can work the dough on a stone and ease out little bits at a time to ensure the smoothness of the dough.

  As shown above, you scrape a handful of the dough and create a ball like the plop shown.  Now, you flatten it a bit in your hands and add the beans (frijoles).
Next, you work the dough into a pouch and enclose the beans inside.  First you create a thick disk to ensure the evenness of the beans throughout, and then flatten it to be put on the griddle.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Honduras

Honduras
We attended language school in Copan Ruinas. Tegucigalpa is where we are serving as teachers at AFE.